Location, Hours & Disposal Instructions
Our Disposal Facility
3661 Sky Park Rd 2B
Grand Island, NE 68801
See our Location page for directions.
Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 8:00 am-4:30 pm*
* Swap Shop Closes at 4:00 pm
Due to staffing shortage, our facility is closed on Saturday.
What is Household Hazardous Waste?
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) is any substance containing ingredients that could negatively affect your safety, health or the environment. Alerting words found on hazardous products include: poison, danger, warning, caution, toxic, flammable, corrosive, explosive and irritant. They can be found on a wide range of products in and around the home, including furniture polish, bleach, antifreeze, insecticides, paint, mothballs and much more. Another hazardous property you may see on a label is reactive. This means the product contains chemicals that, if combined with certain other substances, could result in hazardous reactions such as gaseous emissions or explosions.
How to dispose of waste
If you have hazardous waste to dispose of, please bring it to our facility during our business hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm and the 1st of each month Saturday by appointment only.
Follow these easy tips while transporting your hazardous waste:
- Keep HHW in its original container. We cannot accept anything not in its original container.
- Place HHW in a plastic bin or box lined with a plastic trash can liner. This will keep them from tipping or leaking. As you pack your container, do not mix solids with liquids. (Containers will not be returned)
- Keep HHW away from children and pets and out of the passenger compartment of your vehicle.
- If transporting in a truck, secure the load with ties to prevent the load from shifting.
- When transporting, never mix different types of HHW in one container.
- Never mix chemicals. You could be seriously injured from toxic fumes, explosion, and/or fire.
- Do not tape fluorescent tubes or bulbs together. When possible, transport them in the original box to prevent breakage. We do not accept broken tubes or bulbs.
Examples of items accepted
We generally accept items that read Oxidizer, Irritant, Corrosive, Flammable, Poison, or Environmental Hazard on the label. If these words are not found on the label, we will not accept them.
- Adhesives and glues
- Aerosol cans
- Antifreeze (new & used)
- Art and hobby paints
- Brake fluid
- Car wax and cleaners
- Charcoal lighter fluid
- Drain opener
- Fingernail polish and remover
- Fluorescent bulbs
- Furniture polish and wax
- Insecticide and insect repellent
- Lighter fluid
- Lubricating oil
- Mercury (MUST call before transporting)
- Motor Oil
- Organic solvents
- Oven cleaner
- Paint strippers
- Pet shampoos and sprays
- Pool & spa chemicals
- Rat and mouse poison
- Septic tank cleaners
- Shoe polish
- Spot removers
- Toilet bowl cleaner
- Transmission fluid
- Tub and tile cleaner
- Windshield wiper fluid
- Wood preservatives
- Wood stains
Please note! We will NOT be accepting:
- Large Appliances
- Compressed butane containers or propane tanks
- Commercial, industrial, institutional, medical, agricultural or veterinary, trash, construction materials or other non-household hazardous waste products.
If you have questions about HHW disposal, please call 308-385-5095 for more information.
For large quantities of Used Motor Oil, please contact an Used Oil Collection site. Charges may apply for disposal. A list of Used Oil Collection Sites in Nebraska can be found on Keep Nebraska Beautiful’s website.